Monday, March 14, 2011

Ranchy Crackers

I know I said I was going to try to post once every single day for an entire year. But I don't want to do that. Now, I'm not giving up on my project. I'm still going to post. I'm just not going to try and crank out posts that are just meaningless dribble. I want to post things because I want to post them. Not because I need filler.

Today, I have an awesome recipe that I want to share. I figure, because Mondays are usually my productive and experimental cooking days, that I would try to post recipes on Mondays. My stomach and I are pretty excited about this.

To start off the post, let me tell you all a little story. My roommate's mother, Momma Kathy, morphs into a Keebler Elf when Christmas time comes around. Part of me wishes I was joking, but the part of me that loves cookies doesn't. She makes container after container of cookies. Chocolate chip, mint, pressed, you name it, she makes it. Well, this last Christmas, MK decided to turn our teeny tiny kitchen into her tree house bakery. 

For the first time in my life, I feel that there was enough butter in one room that even Paula Deen would be happy.

Anyways, one of the things she made that wasn't cookies were these crackers. Like, I could eat them all day. And, in fact, I did when I got home from visiting my family in Virginia. I decided to give the recipe a go. 

Start off with the ingredients. Oyster crackers, vegetable oil, ranch mix, garlic powder, lemon and pepper seasoning, dried dill, and celery salt. 

I have made chex mix before and always needed to mix it all in the big bowl and THEN transfer it to the baking sheet, so I was all ready with the big plastic bowl. Only to read the rest of the directions and realize I didn't need the big bowl after all. 

Instead, you pour the crackers on the baking sheet and then set it aside. Or, in my case, you set it farther back on the stove top.

In a MUCH smaller bowl than the one I pictured before, mix the seasonings with one cup of oil. I used one of the many wisks in the kitchen to do this. Once it looks good, spread the mixture on the crackers.

Then wash your hands again, because you will be mixing the crackers with the seasonings and the best way to get them coated is with your hands. This is where roommates come in handy because she was snapping the pictures. 

There WILL be some causalities. Don't worry about it. I know I had many a man down myself. Again, this is where roommates come in handy, cause Marie scooped those right on up. Once it all looks good and coated, put the baking sheet in the oven at 250 for 7 and a half minutes.

Meanwhile, make a peanut butter and banana sandwich for you and your roommate. This step is, of course, optional, but I feel you won't regret it. 

At the 7 and a half minute mark, take the crackers out and mix them up before putting them back in for another 7 and a half minutes. 

Once your time is up, take them out and let them cool. Then enjoy! :D

Ranchy Crackers:
- 16-20 oz of oyster crackers
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 package of original ranch mix
- 1 tsp of Dill
- 1tsp Lemon Pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Celery Salt

-Preheat Oven to 250 degrees.
-Mix seasonings with oil.
- Spread crackers on a cookie sheet.
-Spread oil and seasoning mixture over crackers. Mix with hands.
-Bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Cool and enjoy.
-Store in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment