Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Makin' Lemonade

So, as well all know, I am none too pleased with my crafting armiore. Well, that's a lie. I am somewhat pleased with it. It does what I need it to do and it doesn't look TERRIBLE. I'm just perturbed with it. And disspointed. That being said, I'm trying to make lemonade from this very obviously a lemon kind of a situation.
I kept looking at the doors to the unit as they sat open with the table out from where I didn't put it up last week. All I could see were the bare, off white of it all. 
See what I mean? Just boring old doors. 

Then, I started looking at them closer. They had this area that just screamed at me that it needed something. And I knew just what that something was.


CORK!!!

I made a stop at Wal-Mart today and picked up two packages of 4 12x12 cork boards. I brought them home and measured it all out. All I had to take off was one inch on one side for it to fit. 

So, I did! Of course, the first time around I took a little less than an inch and then had to go back and fix it. But we won't talk about that sliver of cork. 

I used the included mounting tape on the cork and placed it in its new home. Sadly, I had a dumb moment and opened both packages of cork and marked each one before I realized that I only really needed the one package. I placed two 11x12 rectangles in each door at the top, and then half way down, I used the extra one inch cork remnant. I had to trim off an extra inch on the end to get it to fit, so I was left with another little bit. So I used that, too!

I think the end result looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. It was a nice little DIY project with functionality. Which, I'm learning as I get older, is a good thing. 

I like this unit a little bit more, now. I think my next step is fun hardware for the doors that I can purchase from a neat little antique place in town. I'm just trying to decide if I want to do that now, or wait until Amber and Jamie come in to visit me and do it with them.

But, I will say this. While I love me some Dollar Tree...I'm not loving the rulers that I got from there. The edges are a bit...well, wobbly. I don't feel like they drew a straight line at all. Looks like there's something else that I need to add to my Birthday wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment