Friday, August 13, 2010

My Best Friend's Wedding...Inspiration

Ok, so no need to comment on my horrible ability to being consistent on NOT posting in my blog. We just...won't talk about that. Instead, we will cheer on the fact that I'm updating now...AND WITH PICTURES! Yeah, that's right. I said pictures. What now?

So, with a bit of backstory, one of my best friends since, well, I suppose you could say primary and middle school, though mostly high school, is getting married in a few months. And I'm one of her bridesmaids. Its pretty exciting, to be totally honest and I can't wait to see all my friends there for the big day. One of the cool things about it is that Amber is letting us pick our dresses ourselves and accessorize with gold heels and hair accessories. And, seeing has how hair accessories (and apparently nail art, but we will get to the later) are my niche, Well, I decided to take some matters into my own hands and make something pretty to wear in the wedding.
It took me a bit, but I finally found a gold ribbon that didn't look cheep or crinkly. The only thing is that it doesn't always photograph as gold. I see yellow and Amber saw orange. But, then I remind myself that I've been taking pictures with my blackberry and cellphones just don't do most photographs justice.

My original plan was to make ribbon flowers and clustering them together on a headband all prettylike. But then I kept seeing tutorials everywhere for something that involved material or ribbons, hot glue, and an open flame.

SOLD!

So, putting behind the taunting voice of my mother and Aunt Bonnie about how if you play with fire, you pee in the bed, I set forth with my crafty endeavor. I cut out various sized circle shapes out of my gold ribbon and then dangled them ever so precariously over and beside the flame, trying not to set the material on fire and just melt the edges. This gives it, what I like to call, a used, vintage look. Then, you stack the sizes one on top of the other. Instead of sewing them together, I just glued each layer, looked at it and went "It's a day!" Then I wrapped a plastic headband in the same gold ribbon and glued the flowers on top, adding rhinestones for some added pizazz.



Here is one of my finished headbands. I
I ended up making two because I kind of enjoyed the whole fire thing a bit much. :|



Another shot of the finished wedding headband.

So, yeah. I really enjoyed making the gold flowers that I went through my freshly organized shelf-o-ribbon and grabbed some other solid colors to play around with. I also did something with a paisley print that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, though my roommate liked it quite a bit. I did the good roommate thing and gave it to her, after asking a few good handfuls of times if she was sure she liked it and really wanted it. haha


These pretty little ladies will be for sale on the website and etsy once I get some really good shots of everything.


And here's what it looks like on.
>.> Ignore the clutter of stuff on the table and the dog toys strewn about the room.
And Hannah Montana. <.<


So, that's my headband endeavor. I then was having too much fun with my ickle glue gun that I proceeded to make more headbands that will be featured later and a large number of flower hair clips and pansy ponytail bands. All in all, I made about 50 different hair accessories that night, feeling much like a one woman sweatshop. But at the end of night, I felt pretty good and quite proud.

2 comments: